News | 5/3/2011 4:02:50 PM | NLL.com
The National Lacrosse League has announced that Budd Bailey, a sports reporter for The Buffalo News, is the winner of the Tom Borrelli Award, given annually to the NLL Media Person of the Year. Bailey, who has served as the Buffalo Bandits beat writer for the Buffalo News since the 2009 season, is widely respected for his thorough coverage of the Bandits, including his popular day-of-game feature stories on Bandits players and coaches. The stories provide inside perspective on the lives of the Bandits both on and off the floor. Bailey’s coverage also includes the Bandits Notebook and an in-game blog on the News website.
“Nothing could please me more than to win an award named after my friend Tom, who loved lacrosse more than anyone I’ve ever known”, said Bailey.
The award is named in honor of the late Tom Borrelli, who covered the Bandits from the team’s inception in 1992 until his death in November 2008 for The News. Bailey was assigned to take over the Bandits beat following Borrelli’s passing. Bailey spoke with Karen Borrelli, Tom’s widow, earlier today, who was happy to hear that one of Tom’s friends and colleagues at The News had won the award named in her husband's honor.
Borrelli passed away on November 20, 2008, following injuries from an accident that took place while covering a high school football game in Buffalo. Borrelli was recognized by the NLL Hall of Fame in 2007, and was the first member of the media to be recognized by the Hall of Fame for their contributions to the game.
The National Lacrosse League will announce the winners of the 2011 season awards over the next ten days, leading up to the NLL Championship Game on the weekend of May 13-15. The schedule of announcements is as follows:
- Tuesday, May 3rd: Sportsmanship Award & Media Person of the Year Award, also known as “The Tom Borrelli Award”
- Wednesday, May 4th: Executive of the Year Award
- Thursday, May 5th: The Head Coach of the Year Award, also known as “The Les Bartley Award” & The General Manager of the Year Award
- Saturday, May 7th: East and West Divisional Finals
- Monday, May 9th: Defensive Player of the Year, Transition Player of the Year & Goaltender of the Year Awards
- Tuesday, May 10th: Rookie of the Year Award and All-Rookie Team
- Wednesday, May 11th: All-Pro Teams
- Thursday, May 12th: Most Valuable Player Award, presented by Reebok
- Weekend of May 13th-15th: 2011 NLL Championship Game
The awards are voted on by team executives, general managers and head coaches of the league’s ten member clubs.